Thursday, April 15, 2010

A Little Update

So I am losing my steam with blog writing. I guess since I’m on the home stretch with this trip..I don’t know. Anywho so I’ve just been doing my ISP stuff. This week and last week we have followed around Nokuthula the program coordinator of Siyaphila on her rounds to support groups for HIV in semi-rural areas and also to home visits to the HIV + patients. We have been talking with all of them and interviewing them. They love having us around, especially the people we visit at home. They don’t often get people who want to visit them..sad…so some visits have gotten a little emotional.

Nokuthula brings us back to our backpackers round 4 everyday and then we get to work on the TB stuff. We have finalized a bigger and better funding proposal, halfway down with a website, creating an email address, made a flyer, pamphlet, and business cards for them. We have also sent out our proposal to about 25 businesses thus far. We have also organized a TB workshop for the staff members of Siyaphila to update their training on the signs and symptoms so they can be looking for those on their home visits and such.

So that’s been a lot. We have this next week to work with them but then we are back in Durban after that. Then we have to write up a whole report about this and such. Not really ending on an easy note.

As for fun, I think I said before we made some friends with University students here in PMB and they took us out a couple times. We watched some of the English Premiership soccer that they are all obsessed with. I’m getting into it though. Dad and I decided we are gonna follow the World Cup fo sho!

Hmm what else is new…oh for everyone that’s reading it out there that I don’t know about..haha..I’m going to Spain for a summer session this summer!!!!

Oh I know. Epic story today. So we walked to this place for lunch that sells Indian food. I got a bean Bunny Chow thingy which is a very popular South African dish. But anywho the guy who works there automatically was like so where are you from in the U.S. Keep in mind this is some random South African dude working in a random Indian place. I was like North Carolina, which no one has ever heard of NC or really knows where it is..it’s normally just a formality to answer the question. BUT this guy goes oh like Kitty Hawk..and I just stood there shocked! I was like actually yes exactly like Kitty Hawk how have you heard of it. He was like that’s where Orville and Wilbur flew…I was so impressed. Apparently international peeps no more about our history then the people in our own country cause really none of the girls on the program have heard of Kitty Hawk. It made my day really!

1 comment:

  1. Ya pretty bad none of the girls heard of Kitty Hawk. Pretty impressive South African Dude. Just a little more blogging to go. We all look forward to it to give up now!!!!

    ReplyDelete