Saturday, March 27, 2010

Last Full Week of Lectures

This week we had lectures on HIV epidemiology, Traditional Medicine. Africanism, stuff like that. Different lecturers from different places..the usual. Nothing too exciting happened this week except for both Wednesday and Thursday night the electricity went out. I think it’s all a ploy to conserve electricity. Actually I’m almost positive it is. It cut out a 6:30 both nights. Apparently they like tell them when they are going to do this. Some of the mamas are all up in arms cause the white neighborhood never gets cut out. Also they can afford to light the big mall neon green at night..it’s hideous. So that was fun. I told mama I was use to it from hurricanes and stuff but that it was for weeks. She was like whooa. Thankfully mama had already made dinner and such so it was all good. During Generations there are always notices that come up on the screen saving electricity is low continue to use electricity wisely.

I got my CHS papers back..got an A on both! We went and saw Remember Me because American movies are like our security blanket. The movie was ehh…but that was expected. Twist at the end..beware those who might see it.

Other than that it was a pretty usual week in Cato. Things are winding down. Today I moved out of Cato. Mama left at 7am to work..we said goodbye – Mama is like me so it was pretty unemotional. Hugs goodbye and such. Gave them little gifts. Now I’m at the Happy Hippo again and were staying for 5 nights. April 1st I will be going to Pietermaritzburg.


Some interesting things to note, note sure if they are politically correct to write on a blog but here goes:
- A woman asks if there are only white people overseas.
- A boy asks if we speak English or Afrikaans in America.
- Also didn’t realize that to some people (which this makes sense) if you say your from America, that doesn’t necessarily mean the United States. Because there is South and North America. It makes sense, we should stop just assuming that everyone realizes were from the U.S. when we say America…because indeed saying America is vague.


So I have to redo my ISP ethics proposal since my topic has changed…bummer.

A haiku about South Africa:
Durban is super cool.
At our school I jump in pool.
Food may cause lose stool.

That was mildly inappropriate…here is a more educational one:
Rugby, cricket, match
It is the Rainbow Nation
Live by ubuntu

Health is big issue
Funding may not be of help
Caring is needed

You can call me Poe
I write haikus that’s fo sho
Money, yes I need more

2 comments:

  1. wow kait...awesome poems...super proud of you haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. great stuff. Always good for a laugh, thanks, miss you sooo much, miss the laughs,hugs and kisses
    mom (using dads computer)

    ReplyDelete